9.01.2007

Final Thoughts on "Urban Shaman"

I'd have to say that, overall, it's a well-written book. To be honest, though, I mostly scanned the last few chapters. I wouldn't say that's any fault of the author's, though. I simply wasn't in a metaphysical mood and this book makes much with the metaphysical. I have to give kudos for the ending. There was enough resolution that I feel content should I never get around to the rest of the series. On the other hand, there was just enough of a tease to leave me curious about where Joanne Walker and co. will go from here.

Nerdy Note: With some novels, it's obvious that the writer is/has been a literary student. C.E. Murphy has degrees in English and history. It shows in the canonical literary references peppered throughout the book. Being a literature student, myself, I love it when that happens. It makes me feel extra smart when I get the reference and extra motivated when I don't. My favorite from "Urban Shaman" is when our heroine quotes Dante, only to be corrected by a 70-year old cab driver... "Abandon all hope, ye who enter." I think it's some sort of rule that all booknerds must know this quote. It's like manly men knowing the difference between a Phillips and a flathead.

No comments:

Post a Comment