1.20.2008

"Kitty and the Silver Bullet" by Carrie Vaughn

This is the fourth installment of Vaughn's Kitty Norville series, and, thankfully, not a filler book. There's a lot going on in this one in terms of Kitty's development as a werewolf, her personal life, and the overall storyline. The catalyst for it all is her return to Denver, with boyfriend Ben in tow, which obviously sets off a variety of consequences. She must go toe to toe with not only Carl, her former jackass of an Alpha, but also Arturo, the city's Master vampire. Meanwhile she must come to terms with her own Alpha status in her little pack of two. If that weren't enough, Kitty's family is making their presence known in the craziness that is her life. What's a girl-wolf to do?


I have to say, this isn't really among my favorites of in-progress serials. Still, I do enjoy all four of the books and read this last one without ever getting bored. Even with Cormac playing a more minimal role than usual, stuck up in prison as he is. Which, by the way, is sad because Ben does absolutely nothing for me. There's just no magic. Which, I believe, may be just a little bit intentional. Read the last two pages and you'll pick up on why I say so. Ah, screw this subtlety bit -- Ben ain't the long-haul guy. I don't peg him for getting killed off just yet (though I'm hopeful) but I sense no HEA here.


BTW: African wild dog... whoddathunkit?

No comments:

Post a Comment